Smoked Salmon Chowder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 8 ounces smoked salmon, flaked and bone free
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Heat the butter in a medium-size, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic, and saute until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the celery, carrot, red bell pepper, Yukon gold potatoes, sea salt and black pepper to the pot. Cook, stirring continuously, for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the flour and stir for another minute.
- Add the almond milk and broth, mixing well and incorporating any vegetables adhering to the bottom of the pot.
- Simmer the chowder for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese, dill and salmon pieces.
- Ladle the chowder into bowls and garnish them with dill, more black pepper and a favorite hot sauce, if desired.