Lazy Oven French Toast Casserole or Strata Recipe
- 1 tbsp. butter (or as needed, or nonstick cooking spray for greasing the baking dish)
- 4 cups milk (see Note)
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, plus more maple syrup for serving (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse or kosher salt
- 3/4 cup whole raisins, chopped dried fruit, or chopped nuts (optional)
- Optional: fresh fruit such as berries, sliced peaches or pears, and/or confectioners’ sugar
- Note: This is luxurious when made with whole milk, but 2 percent or 1 percent milk works fine. Conversely, for an even more decadent dish, you can replace one of the cups of milk with a cup of cream or half-and-half if you like.
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
Learn how to make this recipe at The Spruce Eats