Healthy Chicken Coconut Milk Soup (Tom Ka Gai)
This version of Tom Ka Gai, a traditional Thai soup made with Almond Breeze® Unsweetened Original Almondmilk Coconutmilk and chicken, uses almond milk in addition to coconut milk to lighten it up a bit. Lemongrass, ginger, and garlic give the soup a perfect amount of flavor and a sprinkle of cilantro adds the finishing pop of color. Make this dairy-free soup in under an hour for a quick weeknight dinner that makes great leftovers for lunch.
- 25 fluid ounces chicken broth
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, cut into tiny slivers then finely chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small chunks
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 3/4 cup Almond Breeze Unsweetened Original Almondmilk Coconutmilk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Pour chicken broth into a pot; add ginger and lemongrass and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until ginger and lemongrass are soft and fragrant, about 15 minutes.
- Stir chicken into broth; cook until the chicken turns white, about 5 minutes.
- Mix mushrooms, jalapeño pepper, scallions, and garlic into chicken mixture; simmer until mushrooms are softened, about 5 minutes more.
- Add almond milk and coconut milk blend to chicken mixture and warm until heated through but not boiling and chicken is fully cooked, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir fish sauce and lime juice into coconut soup. Ladle soup into bowls and top each with cilantro.