Shrimp are perfectly seasoned in a Creole-style blend of spices and are then dipped in an almond milk-based hot sauce and finally coated in cornmeal before frying, creating a perfectly crunchy and dairy-free version of po’boy shrimp. Layer the shrimp on a baguette with tomatoes, homemade remoulade, and dill pickles for the best Southern-style sandwich that pairs well with potato chips or a crunchy salad.
- For the fried shrimp:
- 3 tablespoons creole seasoning (or cajun seasoning)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and tail off
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- For the remoulade:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot sauce or Tabasco
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons capers, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To make the remoulade: In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Cover and refrigerate no less than 30 minutes prior to use.
- For the fried shrimp: In a medium bowl, mix creole seasoning, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. In a separate medium bowl combine 2 tablespoons of spice mix, flour, and cornmeal; set aside.
- Toss the shrimp in the first bowl with just the spice mixture.
- In a separate bowl combine the buttermilk and hot sauce.
- Dredge the seasoned shrimp in the buttermilk then the flour mixture, shaking off any excess flour. If you would like a thicker coating, repeat the dredging process. Refrigerate the coated shrimp for 15 to 20minutes prior to frying.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a Dutch oven or deep frying pan to 350F.
- Working in batches, fry shrimp until they are golden brown in color. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Assembly: Grab the bread and spread the remoulade sauce on both sides. Layer the lettuce and tomato on the bottom slice of bread and pile on the fried shrimp. Cover the sandwich with the top slice of bread and garnish with a dill pickle.
Po’ Boy Assembly
- 4 – 8 inch long baguette or french bread, split in half horizontally 2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2-3 large tomatoes, sliced
- Fried shrimp – 6 or so pieces per sandwich
- Remoulade sauce
- Dill pickle