Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
Warm split pea soup made from scratch in a slow cooker is a great way to keep warm on cold weeknights. Almond milk adds creaminess, beer and mustard add a bit of flavor, and celery and carrots add texture to this soup that is dairy-free.
- 1 ham hock
- 2 2/3 cups dried green split peas, rinsed
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large carrot, chopped
- 2 sweet onion, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 2 (12-ounce) bottle light beer
- 2 tablespoon prepared English mustard
- 1 cup Almond Breeze® Unsweetened Original Almondmilk
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place ham hock in a 4-quart slow cooker. Add peas, celery, carrot, and onion.
- Combine water, beer, and mustard in a bowl; pour over peas and vegetables. Cover slow cooker.
- Cook peas on high until peas are tender and soup is thickened, about 5 hours.
- Remove ham bone from soup. Cool slightly, trim away fat, and remove meat from bone. Discard fat and bone.
- Cut meat into bite-sized pieces. Return meat to the slow cooker; stir in almond milk, parsley, salt, black pepper, and nutmeg and cook for 1 hour.
- Serve soup topped with minced parsley.