Creamy Cubano Sandwich
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons flour (divided)
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon dill pickle juice
- 1 cup Almond Breeze Unsweetened Original Almondmilk or Extra Creamy Almondmilk
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 Bolillo or soft French rolls (halved horizontally)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard (to assemble)
- 16 dill pickle slices
- 12 oz. thinly sliced ham
- 2 tablespoons butter (to grill)
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- To prepare cheese sauce, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of the flour, mustard and pickle juice and cook for 1 minute more. Slowly add Almond Breeze, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes. Add cream cheese and cook until sauce is smooth and thickened; remove from heat.
- Toss Swiss cheese with remaining flour and add to Breeze mixture a little at a time, whisking slowly and constantly. Place back on very low heat cooking only until cheese is fully melted. Season with salt and pepper; set aside and keep warm.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread roll bottoms with mustard. Top with pickles and ham and close sandwiches. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook sandwiches for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until warm and golden brown, pressing down firmly with a plate or spatula to compress. Remove from skillet and carefully remove roll tops. Drizzle with half the warm cheese sauce and replace roll tops. Serve with remaining cheese sauce. Makes 4 servings.