Chicken Marsala with Zucchini Noodles
Classic Chicken Marsala gets a dairy-free and lower-carb twist thanks to almond milk in the gravy and zucchini noodles instead of pasta noodles. Make this meal on a weeknight in less than 1 hour for a quick dinner that is healthier too!
- 4 chicken breasts, thinly sliced, (or 4 chicken breasts, butterflied)
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil, or more as needed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup Almond Breeze® Unsweetened Original Almondmilk
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- zucchini noodles
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Place flour on a plate or in a shallow bowl. Dredge chicken in flour until just lightly coated on all sides; transfer chicken to a plate.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil and swirl the pan so the bottom of the pan is coated.
- Sear chicken on both sides, working in batches as needed, until lightly golden brown, about 4 minutes per side; transfer to a plate. If you are working in batches, you will need to add more olive oil in between to ensure the chicken won’t stick.
- Reduce the heat under skillet to medium; add butter and let melt. Cook and stir shallots, garlic, and sliced mushrooms in melted butter until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Mix chicken broth, almond milk, vinegar, lemon juice, and nutmeg into mushroom mixture; reduce heat and simmer sauce.
- Nestle the chicken back into the sauce and simmer until the sauce thickens and the chicken is completely cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Cook zucchini noodles in a skillet over medium heat just until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Layer zucchini noodles with chicken and sauce and garnish with parsley.