When Meyer lemons start coming in, stir up this brillant Italian liqueur to bottle as gifts.
- 12 Meyer lemons
- 1 (750-ml) bottle of high-quality vodka
- 2 cup sugar
- 3 cup water
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Wash lemons well to remove any wax. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the lemon peels. Take care to avoid cutting off the white pith, as it will add a bitter taste.
- Place lemon peels in a sterilized 2-quart glass jar. Pour vodka over the top. Seal. Store in a cool, dark place 6 to 8 weeks.
- Strain vodka mixture into another sterilized 2-quart jar and discard lemon peels.
- Heat sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Let cool. Add sugar syrup to vodka mixture and seal jar. Store an additional 6 to 8 weeks in a cool, dark place.
- Pour limoncello into 6- to 8-ounce size bottles and cap. Keep at room temperature or in freezer until ready to serve. Makes about 6 cups.