Frittata with Chorizo
The Italian frittata gets a Western spin in this hearty dish, brimming with spicy, smoky chorizo, buttery Manchego cheese, and a tangle of peppers and onions.
We used cured Spanish chorizo sausage in this hearty frittata, but any cured sausage will work. Any cheese, too.
- 3 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 6 ounce fully cooked chorizo sausages, halved lengthwise, and sliced in ¼-inch half moons
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 eggs
- 4 ounce Manchego cheese, shredded
- Chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream and salsa (optional)
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large heavy ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add chorizo. Sauté until lightly browned and beginning to crisp, about 3 minutes. Remove chorizo.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan. Heat over medium heat. Add sliced pepper, onion, garlic and ¼ teaspoon salt; sauté 6 to 8 minutes.
- Whisk together eggs, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in about two-thirds of the shredded cheese.
- Pour egg mixture into skillet, stirring once to distribute peppers and onions. Reduce heat to low. Arrange chorizo over top of eggs; cook, undisturbed, 5 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Transfer to oven and bake 20 minutes, or until eggs are set and top is puffed and golden.
- Let frittata rest 5 minutes and serve with sour cream and salsa, if using.