Baked Pasta with Sausage, Mushrooms and Fontina
The ultimate fall pasta dish for a casual gathering of family or friends.
The sausage-mushroom mixture can be made a day ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container. Rewarm over low heat before combining with the pasta.
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 12 ounce sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, trimmed, and quartered
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
- 4 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes with purée
- 6 ounce Italian fontina, shredded
- 6 tablespoon freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saute pan over medium heat; add sausage. Saute, breaking up meat until no longer pink and beginning to brown. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon; pour off drippings, leaving behind brown bits. Add remaining oil and mushrooms to pan. Saute until mushrooms begin to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add shallots; saute 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and rosemary; saute 1 minute more. Add wine, increase heat to medium-high, and cook until wine is nearly evaporated. Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Return sausage to pan and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly oil a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour; cook until foaming but not colored, about 2 minutes. Whisk in milk; bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Cook rigatoni according to package directions, undercooking it by 3 minutes. Drain; return to pot. Add sausage mixture to pasta; toss well. Add bechamel and crushed tomatoes; stir to combine. Stir in fontina and 2 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Transfer pasta mixture to baking dish. Sprinkle remaining Parmigiano Reggiano over top; cover with foil. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes more. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.