Beef and Black Bean Chili
This thick Texas-style chili will be the hit of your game day party! To crank up the heat, add chopped chipotle peppers in adobo.
- 3 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pound ground sirloin
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- Optional Toppings:
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Diced avocado
- Chopped green onions
- Chopped cilantro
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
- Lime wedges
- Sour cream
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a heavy Dutch oven over medium heat. Add beef, and saute, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no pink remains, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer meat to a small bowl. Sprinkle with salt, and set aside.
- Drain liquid from pot, and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add onion and saute until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, and saute 1 minute more. Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano and cinnamon. Cook together 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, water, beef, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and honey. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and lime juice and cook 5 minutes.