Classic Pot Roast with Mushrooms
A comforting crowd-pleaser with plenty of vegetables.
- 3 pound chuck roast
- (about 2 inches thick)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow or white onion
- 3/4 cup diced carrot
- 3/4 cup diced celery or celery root
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound shiitake or portabello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cup reduced-sodium, low-fat beef broth
- 8 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon cold water
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 300F. Trim beef of all visible fat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large Dutch oven. Add beef and brown on all sides. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion, carrot, celery and parsnip to pan. Saute until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, mushrooms, chili powder and cook 3 minutes.
- Return meat to pan, and add broth, tomato sauce, red wine, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover and place in oven and cook 3 to 31/2 hours, until beef is fork tender. (There will be lots of liquid.)
- Dissolve cornstarch in cold water. Pour cornstarch mixture into pan, stirring constantly. Return to oven and cook 15 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Serves 8-10.