Rustic Cornmeal Cake with Macerated Berries
Cornmeal and fresh berries give this summery dessert a rustic, country-style flavor.
Macerating is when you take use a liquid to break up a food ingredient and release its full flavor.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup each strawberries, blueberries and raspberries
- 1/4 cup sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- To prepare cake, preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Combine butter, sugar, orange rind and vanilla in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until evenly blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture and cornmeal alternately with milk, beating just until evenly incorporated. Scrape into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake 30 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- To prepare berries, mash berries in a large bowl. Add sugar and orange juice and mix gently. Serve with cake.