Give your popcorn international intrigue with a quick curry topping.
If you're used to tossing a bag in the microwave, rediscover how easy and good-for-you stovetop popcorn really is. Serve immediately after making with a lightly sweet bubbly like Asti Spumanti, India pale ale or ginger-lemon vodka martinis.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, (or up to 1⁄4 teaspoon)
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- Stir 1 tablespoon oil, curry powder, salt and cayenne in a small bowl.
- Coat the bottom of a heavy 4-quart saucepan with 2 tablespoons oil. Add a couple of popcorn kernels and cover pan. Turn heat to medium. When the first kernel pops, add remaining popcorn kernels. Cook, covered, shaking pan frequently until popping slows to 3 to 5 seconds between pops. Remove pan from burner and uncover carefully to allow steam to escape.
- Pour popcorn into a large bowl. Drizzle with curry mixture and toss well. Serve immediately.