Choose other meats, vegetables and seasonings to make this dish your own favorite.
You can prep the first 3 steps of the dish hours ahead. The final cooking will only take a couple of minutes.
- 8 ounce dried Chinese egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
- 2 cup broccoli flowerets
- 4 cup lower-sodium chicken broth
- 3 slice fresh ginger
- 8 ounce extra-firm tofu, well-drained and patted dry
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup sliced bok choy or Napa cabbage
- 1/4 pound fresh snow peas, strings removed
- 6 ounce cooked chicken or pork, chopped or shredded
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced on the bias
- Additional roasted sesame oil for drizzling on top
- Cook noodles following package directions. Drain well, rinse in cold water, and combine with sesame oil in a large bowl.
- Cook broccoli in 2 to 3 cups boiling water 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse in cold water. Drain again and set aside.
- Heat broth and ginger in a large saucepan over low heat about 30 minutes; do not allow it to boil. Remove ginger.
- Cut tofu into 1/2-inch-thick squares and blot well with paper towels. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add tofu and cook on both sides 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside on paper towels. Add remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to pan; when hot, add egg and rotate pan to film the bottom with a thin layer of egg. When egg has set on the bottom, carefully flip it over. Slide egg crepe onto a plate and cool. Roll up to form a tight cylinder and cut crosswise into thin strips.
- When ready to serve, season broth with soy sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; add snow peas and cabbage. Cook 1 minute. Add noodles, broccoli, pork or chicken, tofu, egg strips and bean sprouts; cook 30 seconds longer. Divide into bowls, scatter green onions on top and drizzle with sesame oil. Serve immediately.