Choose other meats, vegetables and seasonings to make this dish your own favorite.
You can prep the first 3 steps of the dish hours ahead. The final cooking will only take a couple of minutes.
- 8 ounce dried Chinese egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
- 2 cup broccoli flowerets
- 4 cup lower-sodium chicken broth
- 3 slice fresh ginger
- 8 ounce extra-firm tofu, well-drained and patted dry
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup sliced bok choy or Napa cabbage
- 1/4 pound fresh snow peas, strings removed
- 6 ounce cooked chicken or pork, chopped or shredded
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced on the bias
- Additional roasted sesame oil for drizzling on top
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Cook noodles following package directions. Drain well, rinse in cold water, and combine with sesame oil in a large bowl.
- Cook broccoli in 2 to 3 cups boiling water 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse in cold water. Drain again and set aside.
- Heat broth and ginger in a large saucepan over low heat about 30 minutes; do not allow it to boil. Remove ginger.
- Cut tofu into 1/2-inch-thick squares and blot well with paper towels. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add tofu and cook on both sides 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside on paper towels. Add remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to pan; when hot, add egg and rotate pan to film the bottom with a thin layer of egg. When egg has set on the bottom, carefully flip it over. Slide egg crepe onto a plate and cool. Roll up to form a tight cylinder and cut crosswise into thin strips.
- When ready to serve, season broth with soy sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; add snow peas and cabbage. Cook 1 minute. Add noodles, broccoli, pork or chicken, tofu, egg strips and bean sprouts; cook 30 seconds longer. Divide into bowls, scatter green onions on top and drizzle with sesame oil. Serve immediately.