Butternut Squash Soup with Apple Bruschetta
Apple bruschetta and a creamy butternut squash soup offer up plenty of comforting autumn flavors.
- 2 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks (about 3 cups cubed)
- 4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- White pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- Chopped fresh chives for garnish
- Bruschetta (optional):
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 baguette, sliced on the bias into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 garlic clove, cut into halves
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Combine squash and broth in a large saucepan; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover and cool.
- Puree squash in blender or food processor.
- Return puree to saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Stir in sour cream, butter and cayenne. Add salt and white pepper. If squash lacks sweetness, add sugar.
- Cook soup just until thoroughly heated but not boiling. Ladle into bowls and garnish with chives and Caramelized Apple Bruschetta, if desired.
Caramelized Apple Bruschetta
- Warm a large saute pan over low heat. Add butter and olive oil. Add apples; cook until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add sugar and cinnamon; cook, stirring frequently, for 8 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place bread on a baking sheet and broil until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Rub each slice of toasted bread with cut-side of garlic and brush with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Carefully drizzle a small amount of honey over the bread.
- Place a spoonful of apple mixture on top of each slice.