Savory Basil Slice-and-Bakes
Party bites that are ready to bake when you're ready to entertain.
If you like pesto, you'll love these savory wafers that contain the same ingredients. Perfect for parties.
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 package (8-ounce) cream cheese
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, chopped almonds or whole pine nuts
- Kosher salt (optional)
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Sift together flour, peppers and salt. Stir in cheese.
- Combine butter and cream cheese; using a mixer, beat until well combined. Add pesto and mix well.
- Add flour mixture, basil leaves and nuts. Mix well.
- Divide dough in half and roll into logs 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Roll each log in kosher salt, if using. Wrap in waxed paper and chill until firm. If baking later, freeze shaped dough and defrost slightly before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Slice dough 1/4-inch thick. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until edges are golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to a week, or freeze up to a month.