Creamy Asparagus Soup
Spring's finest is pureed to perfection in this silky soup.
Look for firm asparagus stalks with heads that are tight and compact. The tips should smell fresh and clean.
- 1 T Butter
- 1 Onion
- 2 Celery Stalks
- 1 Leek
- 1 cup Chopped Asparagus
- 2 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Half and Half
- 1½ tsp Cornstarch
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Freshly Ground White Pepper
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add onion, celery, leek and asparagus. Cook about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup chicken broth; cover and simmer until asparagus is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Place vegetables and broth in a food processor or blender, working in batches, if necessary. Process until smooth. Return to saucepan. Add remaining broth and half-and-half. Cook over low heat; do not boil.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water and whisk into soup. Continue cooking over low heat, stirring until soup thickens. Add salt and white pepper. Add asparagus tips and cook 3 minutes.