Creamy Asparagus Soup
Spring's finest is pureed to perfection in this silky soup.
Look for firm asparagus stalks with heads that are tight and compact. The tips should smell fresh and clean.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped asparagus spears (snap woody ends of stalk off before cleaning and chopping; reserve the tender tips to stir in the soup just before serving. )
- 2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add onion, celery, leek and asparagus. Cook about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup chicken broth; cover and simmer until asparagus is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Place vegetables and broth in a food processor or blender, working in batches, if necessary. Process until smooth. Return to saucepan. Add remaining broth and half-and-half. Cook over low heat; do not boil.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water and whisk into soup. Continue cooking over low heat, stirring until soup thickens. Add salt and white pepper. Add asparagus tips and cook 3 minutes.