Cheese and Zucchini Stuffed Manicotti
When summer squash and tomatoes are in full swing, make this kid-friendly pasta dish.
- Tomato Sauce:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 12 cup crushed fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cup finely chopped zucchini squash
- 32 ounce whole-milk ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Chopped fresh basil, mint and oregano
- 1 (8-ounce) package manicotti shells (14 shells), cooked until al dente and drained
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- To make sauce, heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt and sugar; simmer over medium-low heat 1 to 2 hours, until thickened. Add remaining ingredients and cook 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add squash and sauté until browned, about 7 minutes. Combine ricotta, egg, salt, cheese and herbs. Stir in squash. Stuff manicotti with squash mixture. Place in baking pan and cover with 3 cups sauce. (You'll have sauce left over.) Bake 30 minutes.