White Chicken Chili
A lighter version of traditional chili featuring juicy chicken thighs, white beans, lime and avocado.
In a pinch? Use canned beans instead of dried. Add the canned beans along with the chicken stock and corn.
- 1 1/2 pound chicken thighs, skin and bones removed
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground guajillo chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle
- 6 cup chicken stock
- 10 ounce corn (thawed if frozen)
- 4 cup small white navy beans (soaked overnight and precooked for 30-40 minutes)
- Optional Toppings:
- bunch cilantro, minced
- green onions, thinly sliced
- avocado, cut into medium sized pieces
- lime wedges
- If using dried navy beans, soak overnight and pre-cook 30 minutes before adding in step 5.
- Heat canola oil in a heavy dutch oven over medium heat. Add minced onion. Stir and continue to cook over medium heat until soft; about 5 minutes.
- While onion is cooking, cut chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces. Add chicken to onions, stir and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and salt. Reduce heat; simmer for 1 minute. Add Mexican oregano, cumin, coriander, guajillo chili powder and chipotle.
- Add chicken stock and corn; stir to mix well. Bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Add beans and cook for another 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Spoon into serving bowls, season with salt and pepper and serve with toppings.