Braised Round Steak
A traditional Creole dish of slow-simmered, braised round steak.
- Seasoned Flour:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 pound round steak, pounded, cut into 2-inch squares
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 4 to 4 ribs celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- Hot sauce
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- To prepare seasoned flour, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Dredge meat in seasoned flour and shake off excess.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add meat, a few pieces at a time and cook until brown on both sides. Transfer to a plate. Add butter to pan. Add onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic; cook 10 minutes. Add broth, Worcestershire, tomatoes, red wine and bay leaves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and return meat to pan. Simmer, covered, until tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Add a few dashes of hot sauce. Serve over Toasted Garlic Grits.