Grilled Caesar Salad
Caesar salad gets a grilled makeover in this creative recipe.
Remove the outside dark green leaves as the firmer inner leaves will stand up to the rigors of the grill better. Although the risk of salmonella from raw eggs is miniscule, you may want to use pasteurized shell eggs available in cartons at any supermarket.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 egg yolks
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 hearts of romaine, core intact, cut into halves vertically
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare grill.
- Combine garlic, anchovy fillets and salt; mash well with a fork. Add yolks and lemon juice; whisk until combined. Slowly pour in olive oil, whisking well.
- Brush cut side of each lettuce half with olive oil. Place on hot grill, cut side down, and cook 1 1/2 minutes. Turn and continue cooking 1 minute. Serve with dressing, cheese and pepper. Serves 4.