Black-Eyed Peas and Greens with Sausage Soup
Combine beneficial veggies with delicious sausage for a filling, balanced meal.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 slice bacon, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 large bunch turnip greens, chopped
- 4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 cup frozen black-eyed peas
- 16 ounce diced tomatoes, undrained
- 12 ounce smoked beef kielbasa, sliced
- 2 cup water
- Freshly ground black pepper
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Heat a large pot over high heat. Add olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon thyme. And onion and bacon and saute until onion is tender. Add garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook about 1 minute. Add greens a little at a time, cooking until wilted. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth. Once the greens are cooked down, add balsamic vinegar. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Gently stir in peas, tomatoes, kielbasa, water, remaining 31/2 cups chicken broth, remaining1/2 teaspoon thyme, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Stir well. Cover and simmer over low heat until liquid is reduced by one-third, about 45 minutes. Uncover and continue to simmer until desired consistency is reached. If using canned black-eyed peas, rinse and drain the peas, then add to the pot during the last 15 minutes of cooking.