Quick Chicken and Rice
Quick-and-easy chicken and rice? Really, truly—deli chicken cuts cooking time in half.
Carve your purchased bird into 8 or so whole pieces, as you would a basic roast chicken, to best approximate a paella “from scratch.”
- 2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 ounce fully cooked Spanish chorizo cut in 1/4-inch coins
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cup arborio rice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (2-pound) rotisserie chicken, cut in large pieces
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- Lemon wedges
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Combine broth and saffron in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo and saute until just brown and crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add onion and saute 2 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute more. Stir in paprika, salt and black pepper. Add rice; toss until well coated. Stir in wine, then drained tomatoes and broth. Cover skillet and transfer to oven; bake 15 minutes.
- Arrange chicken pieces over rice, and scatter peas over the top (do not stir rice). Continue baking, uncovered, 5 minutes. Remove from oven, and let rest 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve straight from the pan with lemon wedges for squeezing over the top.