Quick Chicken and Rice
Quick-and-easy chicken and rice? Really, truly—deli chicken cuts cooking time in half.
Carve your purchased bird into 8 or so whole pieces, as you would a basic roast chicken, to best approximate a paella “from scratch.”
- 2 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- ¼ tsp Saffron Threads
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 3 oz Spanish Chorizo
- ¾ cup Chopped Onion
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- ¾ tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1¼ cup Arborio Rice
- ⅓ cup Dry White Wine
- 13½ oz Canned Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken, 2lb
- ⅔ cup Frozen Peas
- 2 T Minced Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1 Lemon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Combine broth and saffron in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo and saute until just brown and crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add onion and saute 2 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute more. Stir in paprika, salt and black pepper. Add rice; toss until well coated. Stir in wine, then drained tomatoes and broth. Cover skillet and transfer to oven; bake 15 minutes.
- Arrange chicken pieces over rice, and scatter peas over the top (do not stir rice). Continue baking, uncovered, 5 minutes. Remove from oven, and let rest 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve straight from the pan with lemon wedges for squeezing over the top.