Beef and Sausage Stew with Winter Greens
A hearty stew made with sweet Italian sausage, lean ground beef and a handful of fresh colorful vegetables.
If you've never tried winter greens, now is the time. Even after long cooking, they've still got a bite. To prepare, cut away the stems with a sharp chef's knife and coarsely chop the leaves. Swish leaves in a large bowl of warm water. Serve this hearty stew over cooked polenta.
- 1 pound pound sweet Italian sausages, cut into bite-sized
- 1 large onion, vertically sliced
- 3/4 pound crimini mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 pound pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup cup dry red wine
- 3 (14-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 pound kale or collard greens, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 4 cup cooked polenta (optional)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Heat a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausages; cook until brown on all sides. Remove to plate lined with paper towels. Add onion and mushrooms to pot; cook stirring occasionally to loosen brown bits, until vegetables are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and celery; cook 2 minutes. Add beef in small clumps; cook, breaking up beef with a large spoon, until meat is brown.
- Return sausages to pot. Add wine, tomatoes, water, tomato paste, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir well. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat; add greens in batches and cover. As one batch wilts, add another. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Serve over polenta, if using, and sprinkle with cheese.