Fantastic Fennel Pumpkin Soup
A savory soup made with fresh pumpkin and mushroom
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and chopped
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- One 16-ounce can pumpkin
- 2 teaspoon chopped thyme leaves
- 2 cup chopped fresh shiitake mushrooms caps
- 2 ounce Parmesan
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the fennel and onions and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Combine the fennel mixture, 1 cup of the chicken broth, and the pumpkin in a blender. Puree, tightly covered, until smooth, scraping down the sides occasionally with a rubber spatula.
- Return the fennel mixture to pan and add the remaining 2 cups broth and the thyme. Cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil and tilt the skillet to lightly coat the bottom. Add the mushrooms caps and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- To serve, spoon the soup into individual bowls and sprinkle with the mushrooms. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the cheese over each serving.