Oatmeal-Coconut Breakfast Bars
Try these healthy oatmeal-coconut bars for breakfast or in the afternoon with a cup of tea.
These bars are a nice way to get kids (and grownups) to eat a little extra nutrition from carrots, applesauce and wheat germ. They're like a dessert for breakfast. A real treat in the morning with coffee, tea or milk, they also pack well for lunch boxes and hiking snacks.
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 3/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut, divided
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cup grated carrots
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking pan.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine oatmeal and apple juice. Cover and heat on high 2 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine flour, wheat germ, 1/2 cup coconut, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, applesauce, carrots and eggs. Fold into flour mixture. Add oatmeal mixture and stir until just blended.
- Spoon into baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup coconut. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and cut into bars.