Old Bay seasoning added to these vegetable cakes makes them taste a bit like crab cakes.
These cakes are lighter and more tender when made with fresh breadcrumbs. Place a day-old baguette in a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs are formed. For a quick sauce, mix some chopped fresh herbs (such as chives and dill) and lemon juice into mayonnaise.
- 3 cup coarsely grated zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (from a baguette)
- 1 egg
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise or plain yogurt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 teaspoon butter
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Place grated zucchini in a colander; sprinkle lightly with salt and let stand 30 minutes. Press with paper towels to remove as much liquid as possible. Zucchini should be fairly dry, and you should have about 2 cups. Place zucchini and remaining ingredients (except oil and butter) in a bowl. Mix well. Form into 8 patties the size of crab cakes. Chill.
- Heat oil and butter in a skillet.
- Add patties to skillet and cook on both sides until browned. Drain on paper towels.