Spiced Parsnip Bread
Parsnips stand in for carrots or zucchini in a quick bread, perfect for breakfast or a snack.
This is a perfect quick bread for breakfast or packing in a lunch. If you have a favorite recipe for carrot or zucchini bread, cakes, or muffins, try parsnips instead.
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 pound parsnips (about 2 medium), peeled and finely shredded
- 1/4 cup walnut or canola oil
- 1 -- egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly butter a 9 x 5-inch or 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, parsnips, oil, egg and vanilla. Slowly stir parsnip mixture into flour mixture. Stir in nuts. Spoon batter into pan.
- Bake 55 to 65 minutes, until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven; cool in pan on wire rack.