Layers of tomatoes, spinach, cheese and pasta form a rich lasagna.
Prepare the lasagna a day ahead and bake just before serving.
- Tomato Sauce:
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 -- (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 -- (28-ounce) can crushed plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 2 -- (10-ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 -- egg
- 9 -- no-cook lasagna noodles
- 1 pound part-skim mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- To prepare sauce, heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic; cook until soft and translucent, but not brown.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt, oregano, basil, crushed red pepper and black pepper; stir well. Bring to a boil; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- To prepare lasagna, combine ricotta cheese, spinach and egg in a large bowl; mix well.
- Coat the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with a third of the tomato sauce. Cover sauce with 3 noodles without overlapping (break noodles to fit), half the ricotta mixture and half the mozzarella slices. Add half the remaining sauce, 3 noodles, remaining ricotta mixture and remaining mozzarella. Top with remaining 3 noodles, remaining sauce and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. To make ahead of time, cover with foil and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Place pan on baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes, or until bubbly. Let stand about 15 minutes before cutting into squares.