Coconut Shortcakes with Fresh Summer Fruit
A delightful combination of colorful fruit takes homemade shortcakes beyond strawberries.
These shortcakes also are wonderful with a blueberry sauce and walnuts sprinkled on the top.
- 3 Mangoes
- 3 Kiwi
- 1 cup Fresh Raspberries
- 5 T Brown Sugar
- 2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 T Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Unsalted Butter Stick
- 1 cup Grated Unsweetened Coconut
- ¼ cup Crystallized Ginger
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¾ cup Whole Milk
- 4 cup Whipped Cream (optional)
- Combine mango, kiwifruit and raspberries. Add 2 tablespoons brown sugar; stir. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Combine flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Using your fingers or a fork, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Add ginger and coconut. Add vanilla and milk.
- With a 1/3-cup measure or ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheet. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar on tops.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes, until lightly colored and firm. Remove shortcakes from oven and let cool on wire rack.
- Break shortcakes into halves horizontally; spoon fruit and juice between halves and top with whipped cream, if using.