Make-Ahead Bacon and Kale Strata
An easy, hearty overnight casserole perfect for breakfast, brunch or even dinner.
Assemble the strata the night before and pop in the oven in the morning. Use a rich egg bread like challah or brioche, or any artisan white bread will work, such as French or ciabatta.
- 8 slice smoked bacon, diced
- 2 leeks (white part only), chopped
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound kale, chard, greens or spinach, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 cup half-and-half
- 12 large eggs
- 8 cup challah bread or brioche cubes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 cup (6 ounces) grated Gruyère or Swiss cheese
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, saute bacon and leeks until bacon is crisp and leeks are tender, about 15 minutes. Add garlic, kale, dates, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook until kale is wilted. (You may need to add the kale in batches.)
- Combine half-and-half and eggs in a large bowl. Beat until blended. Stir in bread cubes, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, rosemary and 1 cup Gruyere. Add vegetable mixture and stir well.
- Pour egg mixture into baking dish. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Remove strata from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Top with remaining ½ cup Gruyere.
- Bake 40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle of the strata comes out clean. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.