Lobster or Shrimp Newburg
Use shrimp or lobster in this elegant New York classic.
- 3 cup cooked lobster or shrimp (about 1 pound lobster or 3/4 pound shrimp)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon dry sherry
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- Cut lobster into bite-size chunks. If using shrimp, leave whole or cut in half
- Whisk egg yolks with 1/2 cup cream. In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter. Add fish and toss to coat with butter. Add remaining cream, sherry, salt and cayenne; simmer 3 minutes to slightly reduce. Lower heat.
- Ladle a scant 1/4 cup of sauce into yolk mixture; whisk. Stir yolk mixture into the pan; cook and stir until sauce thickens. Do not boil. Serve over toast or hot cooked white rice.