Pasta and a red sauce with chicken, mushrooms and cheese.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium (or 1 large) yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 8 ounce crimini (brown) mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano or 2 heaping teaspoons dried
- 1 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 4 cup chopped Italian plum tomatoes, with their juices
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 large bay leaf (or 2 small to medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground cayenne pepper or hot pepper flakes
- 3/4 pound diced or shredded cooked chicken, light and dark meat
- 1 pound hot, cooked spaghetti or thin spaghetti
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 pound freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 pound whole-milk mozzarella, coarsely grated
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and saute until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute until they are opaque and firm, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and oregano and saute until fragrant, about half a minute.
- Add wine and bring to boil, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot. Add tomatoes and tomato paste, stirring until smooth. Add bay leaf and season with salt, pepper and a pinch or so of cayenne pepper or pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer slowly until sauce is thick and flavors are well blended, 1 to 2 hours. Stir in cooked chicken, heat through, then turn off heat.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch casserole with olive oil.
- Add cooked spaghetti to sauce, and toss until evenly coated and well mixed. Moisten with a cup or so of chicken broth as needed. Add half the Parmigiano and mozzarella and toss. Pour into baking dish, smooth the top, and sprinkle evenly with remaining cheese. Bake until hot, bubbly and golden on top, about 30 minutes.