Creamy Alfredo sauce and vegetables make a deluxe pasta favorite.
Use whatever vegetables are in your refrigerator to make this classic pasta dish.
- Tomato topping:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 3 medium red, ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pasta and Alfredo Sauce:
- 1 pound spaghetti or spaghettini
- 1/4 cup lower sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound broccoli, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 2-inch matchstick slices (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 asparagus spears, cut in thirds after breaking off their tough ends
- 2 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Pine nuts (optional)
- To make tomato topping, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan. Add garlic and tomatoes; cook about 4 minutes, stirring gently so as not to break up tomatoes any more than necessary. Stir in basil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook spaghetti in boiling water until al dente, almost but not quite tender. Drain well, and set aside.
- While spaghetti is cooking, make Alfredo sauce. Gently heat chicken broth, mascarpone cheese and cream in a very large saucepan. Add Parmesan cheese and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In boiling water, cook broccoli 3 minutes. Add zucchini and asparagus and continue cooking until they are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add peas and cook 30 seconds if frozen, 1 minute if fresh. Drain vegetables well.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet; add vegetables, salt, pepper, pepper flakes and parsley. Cook until thoroughly heated, about 2 minutes, stirring gently. Add butter; toss gently.
- Add spaghetti to Alfredo sauce; toss to coat. Add vegetables, tossing and stirring over very low heat.
- Serve spaghetti topped with the tomato topping. Garnish with pine nuts, if desired.