Creamy Chicken Soup
This rich, creamy soup will warm you body and soul.
A great way to use up leftover roast chicken! Tip: Whisking the hot soup into the egg mixture very gradually keeps the eggs from curdling.
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, heated
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup cooked chicken, chopped (leftover from roast chicken or freshly poached)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook 8 minutes. Add flour, whisking until smooth. Cook 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of hot chicken broth, whisking vigorously to blend. Whisk in 5 more cups of broth. Bring to a simmer, stirring.
- Whisk egg yolks and cream together in a large bowl. Ladle about 1/2 cup hot soup into egg mixture, whisking slowly. Pour egg mixture back into pan, whisking slowly. Heat slowly (do not boil), adding more broth if too thick. Add chicken, salt and pepper, and heat thoroughly. Makes 8 cups.