Chef Will Leroux makes batches of this creamy clam chowder to give as gifts during the holidays.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 (6 1/2-ounce) cans clams, with juice
- 2 cup cooked diced potatoes
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 3 slice bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 dash Tabasco
- Melt butter. Add onions, garlic, thyme and celery. Saute until onions are translucent. Add flour; cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Add clams and their juice. Cook over medium-low heat 20 to 30 minutes. Do not boil.
- Add potatoes and half-and-half. Heat to 170 degrees. Do not boil.
- Add bacon, pepper and Tabasco. Makes 2 quarts.