Asian Roast Turkey with Sticky Rice Stuffing
The soy marinade makes for delicious pan drippings that are whisked into an orange juice-based sauce for the Asian Roast Turkey.
- 4 cup sticky (sushi) rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger (about 1 ounce), peeled and minced
- 10 small fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced into thin strips
- 1 small bunch cilantro, stems trimmed, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 green onions, minced
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and grated
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger (about 2 ounces), peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce (Asian hot sauce)
- 1 (12-pound) turkey, thawed if frozen
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- To prepare stuffing, cook rice in water according to package directions. When done, remove from pan and spread into a thin layer on a large baking sheet to cool.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry until golden, about 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl and mix with rice, mushrooms, cilantro and salt. Use as turkey stuffing. Makes about 8 cups.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- To prepare turkey, combine soy sauce and sugar in a bowl and whisk until sugar is completely dissolved. Add green onions, garlic, ginger and Sriracha sauce; stir well.
- Carefully loosen the skin of turkey. Rub about 1/3 cup of the soy sauce marinade directly over the white and dark meat under the skin. Rub another 1/3 cup over the skin. Fill the bird with the stuffing, and close the opening by overlapping the skin and securing with a toothpick.
- Place turkey breast-side-down in a large roasting pan. Add 1 cup of water to the pan. Roast turkey about 1 1/2 hours (15 to 20 minutes per pound), basting every 20 minutes with remaining marinade. Turn turkey over and roast breast-side-up until temperature of the thigh reaches 170F. Stuffing should reach 165F. If the turkey is getting too brown, place a tent of foil over the breast and top of drumsticks during the last hour of cooking.
- Remove turkey from pan and let stand 15 minutes before carving.
To prepare gravy, sprinkle flour over pan drippings. Cook, stirring, over medium heat 2 minutes. Stir in orange juice and chicken broth. Cook until thick. Serve with turkey.