Butterscotch Chiffon Cake
Rich penuche frosting adds layers of decadence to an otherwise fluffy, Angel Food-like cake.
- 2 1/4 cup cake flour
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Penuche Frosting:
- 2 2/3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add brown sugar; mix well. Add oil, egg yolks, cold water and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter.
- Pour batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan; bake 55 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Invert cake and let it hang upside down on a bottle until completely cooled.
- Loosen sides with a knife or spatula, then turn pan over and knock pan to release cake.
- To make penuche frosting, combine all ingredients in a saucepan; cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until combined, then bring to a full boil. Boil 7 minutes; remove from heat. Let cool completely. Chill 2 hours. Beat until thick and creamy. Spread over sides and top of cooled cake.