Hash-Brown Potato Soup
Frozen hash browns make a perfect base for this hearty bowl of creamy potato soup.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 cup frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, partially thawed (such as Ore-Ida)
- 6 cup reduced-sodium fat-free vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated skimmed milk or 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup Greek nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped green onion, grated white Cheddar cheese, crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add hash browns and broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and cook, covered, 8 to 10 minutes.
- In small bowl, whisk together flour with 1/3 cup evaporated milk. Add to potato mixture with remaining milk. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and cook, stirring, 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in yogurt, salt and pepper. (Don't boil after adding yogurt.) Stir until well combined. Top with green onions, cheese and bacon if desired.