Icelandic Almond Tarts
These sweet Icelandic almond tarts are perfect for a tea party or springtime celebration.
These tarts are formed in small tart tins available at most kitchen shops. If you don’t have any, a mini muffin tin works nicely.
- Tart Crust:
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter, diced
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup finely ground almond flour
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Fresh berries, optional
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 375F. In the bowl of a food processor combine the flour and the confectioner's sugar. Add the butter and pulse until the flour is pea sized and the mixture looks crumbly. In a separate, smaller bowl whisk the egg yolk, orange juice and water together. Add to the work bowl and process until a soft dough forms.
- Pinch off a small amount of dough, roughly 2 tablespoons worth and press with your thumbs into individual tart molds. Be sure to make the dough slightly thicker along the edges. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- In medium sized bowl, cream the butter with the almond flour and the sugar. Add the eggs and salt and whisk until smooth. Spoon the mixture into each mold, ¾ of the way full. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the tarts are golden. Allow to cool completely.
- Prepare the icing in a small bowl and mix until completely smooth. Lightly ice each tart and garnish with berries if desired.