Sweet Potato Slab Pie
A fun twist on sweet potato pie, baked up in rectangular sheet pans and sprinkled with streusel topping.
- 1 (17-oz) pkg frozen puff pastry, thawed (2 sheets)
- 4 cup cooked, pureed sweet potatoes (4 or 5 sweet potatoes)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream
- For the streusel:
- 2/3 cup vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup toffee bits (like Heath)
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly coat a 15 x 11-inch jellyroll pan with cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each sheet of puff pastry into a 10 x 12-inch rectangle. Place sheets on pan and press evenly onto the bottom and sides. Trim edges, if needed.
- Prick pastry with a fork. Cover with aluminum foil and spread dried beans or pie weights on top. Bake 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, remove beans or pie weights and foil, and reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sweet potatoes, sugar, cream, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and salt until well combined. Pour evenly over crust. Bake 30 minutes.
- To make streusel, place cookie crumbs in a bowl. Add butter and cut into crumbswith a fork until mixture resembles cornmeal. Stir in pecans and toffee.
- Sprinkle streusel over pie and bake 30 minutes, or until filling is set. Cover pastry edges with foil if needed to prevent overbrowning.
- Let cool completely, then refrigerate. Serve chilled with whipped cream.