Cheddar Cheese Soup
A creamy soup made with ham and vegetables.
- 5 T Butter
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Celery Stalks
- ½ cup Ham, Cubed
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 T Cornstarch
- 4 cup Chicken Broth
- 4 cup Whole Milk
- ½ tsp Dry Mustard (Mustard Powder)
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1½ lb Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 3 oz Canned Mushrooms (optional)
- ½ cup Chopped Onion
- ½ Green Bell Pepper
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Melt butter in a large stockpot; add carrots, celery, onion and green pepper. Cook over medium heat about 10 minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender but not brown. Stir in ham.
Add flour and cornstarch, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Add broth and cook, stirring constantly until soup thickens slightly. Add milk, mustard, paprika, cayenne, cheese, salt, pepper, and mushrooms if using, still stirring, until soup is heated through and thick. Do not boil.