Garlic Basil Shrimp and Grits
Shrimp and grits get an extra hit of flavor from garlic and basil in this version of a Southern classic that is both dairy-free and gluten-free. The grits are cooked in unsweetened almond milk and are then topped with pan-cooked shrimp creating a quick and easy meal for any time of the year.
- 1/2 cup grits
- 2 1/2 cups Almond Breeze Original Almondmilk
- 1/4 cup olive oil (divided)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sea salt (divided)
- 1 lb. raw shrimp
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- A handful of fresh basil cut into ribbons
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- In a medium saucepan, bring the almondmilk to a near-boil (it's ready when it's steaming). Add the grits and 1 teaspoon salt and whisk until smooth.
- Reduce heat and cover; let the grits cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent clumping or scorching. Stir in 1 tablespoon olive oil (more to taste) and season with more salt as needed.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 clove of the garlic. Add the shrimp, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook for a few minutes on each side until pink. Remove from heat.
- In the same skillet, add the tomatoes, garlic, remaining olive oil. When the tomatoes start breaking apart and letting off their juices, add the chicken broth and simmer for 10-15 minutes. The sauce should thicken as you simmer it and reduce the heat.
- Add the 1 teaspoon salt, shrimp, and basil. Stir to combine.
- Divide the grits between four bowls and top with the shrimp/sauce. You can top with additional basil or Parmesan cheese.