- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced into ½ inch thick coins
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 14-oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/5 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup chopped okra (can be fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp
- Salt and pepper
- white rice, for serving
- Optional toppings: thinly-sliced green onions and chopped fresh parsley
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Heat a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage coins in a single layer and cook for 2 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Transfer the sausage to a clean plate and set aside for later.
- Add the oil to the pot and whisk in flour until combined. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches a dark brown color (similar to milk chocolate), about 20 minutes. This is called a roux. Pay close attention as it cooks, adjusting the heat and making sure it doesn’t burn.
- Once the mixture (roux) reaches the milk chocolate color, stir in the bell peppers, celery, jalapeno and onion. Continue to cook for approximately 5 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 1 more minute, stirring constantly.