Okonomiyaki: Savory Japanese Pancake
- Savory Pancake:
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 cup nagaimo (mountain yam), peeled and grated (Wear gloves when grating.)
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon dashi powder
- 1/2 cup panko breading
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups scallions, chopped (reserve 1/2 cup for the topping)
- 1/3 cup pickled ginger, roughly chopped
- 6 cups green cabbage, finely shredded
- 4 to 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Japanese mayonnaise (Kewpie is the best)
- Okonomiyaki sauce, store-bought or home-made (see below)
- Furikake seasoning
- Bonito flakes
- Pickled ginger
- Nori sheets, cut into little pieces
- Okonomiyaki Sauce:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Turn the oven on to 200 degrees.
- Place the first five ingredients in a bowl and whisk them together. (Make sure to get the lumps out of the almond flour.)
- Mix in the nagaimo, almond milk, dashi powder and panko.
- Whisk in the eggs one by one.
- Stir in 1 cup of the scallions and the pickled ginger. Finish by mixing in the cabbage 1 cup at a time, until all 6 cups have been incorporated.
- Heat a nonstick pan on medium heat and add the oil, about 1 tablespoon per pancake.
- When the oil shimmers, add 1 cup of batter to the pan. Form it into a circle with a spatula and flatten the top. The pancake should be about 1/2 to 3/4’s of an inch thick. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the bottom is golden brown.
- Carefully flip the pancake. (It can be hard to flip, so do any mending you need to do at this point to reform the circle.) Place a lid over the top, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid. If you would like the pancake crispier on the outside, flip it one more time to re-crisp the top.
- Remove the pancake to a plate to serve immediately, or to a sheet pan in the oven while you prepare the rest of the pancakes.
- To eat, place one or more toppings on the pancake and enjoy!
- Mix in a bowl until incorporated.