Easy Tomato Soup
Carrots and onions join juicy tomatoes in this healthy and veggie filled soup.
Try using an immersion blender to whirl up this soup to a smooth or chunky consistency. It's easy and safe for kids to use. The bit of brown sugar stirred in at the end balances the acidity. Hold the vinegar until you taste the soup; because tomatoes vary in acidity, you might not need it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28-oz)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrot, onion, garlic, salt and pepper; cover and cook 2 minutes or until carrots are wilted. Add broth and undrained tomatoes; stir to combine. Cover, increase heat and bring to a simmer; uncover, adjust heat and simmer briskly 10 minutes.
- Blend with immersion blender, food processor, blender or potato masher to desired consistency. Return to pot; stir in cream, sugar and vinegar, if using and heat thoroughly. Makes about 6 cups.