Memphis Rendezvous Ribs
Charlie Vergos’ Rendezvous Charcoal Ribs has been a fixture in Memphis since 1948. While the real recipe is closely guarded, here’s a close approximation by Meathead Goldwyn.
- Seasoning mix:
- 4 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoon powdered garlic
- 2 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoon whole yellow mustard seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon crushed celery seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon whole celery seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Mop sauce and ribs:
- 6 tablespoon Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 cup distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoon ketchup or tomato-based barbecue sauce
- 2 slabs baby back ribs (about 4 pounds)
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- To make the seasoning, mix all ingredients in a bowl. Store in an airtight jar. Makes about 1 cup.
- To make the sauce and ribs, mix 2 tablespoons seasoning mix with vinegar, water and barbecue sauce in a bowl. Makes about 1 cup.
- Grill or bake ribs, basting with sauce. When done, sprinkle liberally with seasoning mix.