Quick Pickled Veggies
These no-cook crunchy “pickles” are great with cheese or in our Bahn Mi Sandwich.
- 2 pound fresh, seasonal veggies (carrot, radish, cucumber, asparagus, young green beans, daikon or parsnip), peeled and shredded or cut into thin slices or matchsticks.
- 3 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar or light agave syrup, divided
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 to 1 1/4 cup rice wine or cider vinegar
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Toss cut veggies with 2 teaspoons salt and 2 teaspoons sugar in a large mixing bowl. Set aside 10 minutes. Pour veggies into a colander and rinse well under cold running water. Drain.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a quart jar or other container with a tight-fitting lid. Â Shake until sugar is dissolved. Remove lid and add veggies, packing them in tightly. Replace lid and seal. Allow to marinate at least 2 hours for best flavor. Store in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Makes 1 quart; serves 8.