A New Orleans classic sandwich, Muffulettas are a perfect choice for a lunch-time crowd.
You'll have about 4 cups of olive mix—enough to make 3 sandwiches.
- New Orleans-Style Olive Mix:
- 2 cup chopped pitted green olives with pimientos (10-ounce jar)
- 3/4 cup chopped black or kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoon chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 2 tablespoon capers
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 loaf round Italian bread
- 1 cup New Orleans Style Olive Mix
- 1/4 pound sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1/4 pound lean ham, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound hard salami, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound mortadella, thinly sliced (can substitute good quality bologna)
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- To prepare olive mix, combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir well. Spoon into a 1-quart jar with lid. Refrigerate about 1 week before serving. Will keep almost indefinitely in the refrigerator.
- To prepare sandwich, slice Italian bread evenly in half. Spread olive mix on both halves. Layer cheeses and meats evenly on top. Place two halves of sandwich together. Slice into wedges.